Submissions

WASH wants you to submit thoughts, articles, stories, links, ideas, reviews, stats/data, resources, questions…anything relevant to be posted on our blog!!!

E-mail: w_a_s_h_@hotmail.com

*Please indicate if you want your name to be published with your entry. If you want to be completely anonymous please feel free to access the following email account to contact us from here:

id: washanonymous@hotmail.com
password: secret

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Perspectives on Breast Self-Examination

I'm a strong advocate of breast self-examination. Here are some links which might be helpful to understand what BSE is, why it is recommended and how you can do it:
Breast Self Exam
and
Breast Self-Examination: A Handbook for Women with disAbilities

I was intrigued upon finding this article which argues that breast self-exams are not useful and in fact, may do more harm than good (i.e. in leading to unnecessary biopsies/treatment, psychological distress).
Do Breast Self-Exams Do Any Good?

It is an interesting perspective but I continue to stand by the idea that BSE is absolutely useful in the early detection of breast cancer/abnormalities, especially for women under 40 who do not undergo regular mammograms. Speaking from personal experience, I have gone to my doctor on two separate occasions regarding "lumps" I found through BSE. The first time I was sent to have an ultrasound which revealed two harmless cysts. The second time (currently) my doctor reassured me that the lentil-shaped lump I have discovered is likely a subcutaneous nodule (which is not attached to my breast tissue - a good thing) and most likely nothing to be concerned about.

Neither of my instances have involved benign tumors, mind you, and thus have not required biopsies. I think it's problematic to discourage women from forming the habit of BSE based on the possibility of unnecessary treatment or incorrect diagnoses. I would argue that BSE is an important way to understand one's body - its shape, its changes, its variations - in order to detect when something is not right. Early detection does make a difference.

- Vivian

No comments: